- Show up early, not late.
- Ask the host how long she/he wants you to read.
- Be flexible. If there is more than one reader, don't demand to go first or last. Let your host curate the evening as she/he sees fit.
- Don't read longer than the time your host has requested/suggested (remember: leave the audience wanting more!).
- Be gracious. Remember to thank your audience/host/fellow readers/venue during your reading.
- If other authors are reading on the same bill, it is polite to stay for their readings, as well.
- Plug your book. It's okay to do this yourself if the host doesn't. It's why you're there (and your publisher will appreciate it). Mention the price.
- If selling your own book, decide on a book price for live readings. As an incentive, it can be a little lower than the list price, but don't shortchange yourself too much!
What would you add?